Travis and his best friend Carlos talk late into the night, exploring new ideas for creative professionals. They argue over concepts, share secrets, and interview their industry heroes.
Travis takes Los to the airport while they discuss the best way to find and engage mentors.
Review the podcast so far (00:00:01)
- It feels good to make, to publish
- Brocasting is fun
- Put in work up front to find your rhythm and voice
Finding a Mentor is like dating (07:17:16)
Best Practices in contacting a mentor (16:24:12)
- Choose the platform you contact them on carefully
- Keep a good tone, be thankful
- Try to offer value right away
- what can you supplement their operation with?
- who could you introduce them to?
- Ask for a job
- Ask for help right away
- Correct their mistakes
Value based relationships (33:44:11)
- You need to provide unique consistent value over time
- Offer value right away
- Don’t stop!
- Be ready, they will naturally offer value in return
- Show a lot of gratitude about any help you get. Make a big deal about it.
A few action steps (56:23:05)
- Make a list of potential mentors
- Note where best to make contact
- Contact them all
- Give first
- Be consistent, be ready